- Create a strong consumer protection agency to protect working people from predatory lenders;
- Shed light on the shadow markets by requiring most derivatives to clear and trade on open, transparent exchanges and mandating that large managers of hedge funds and private equity funds register with the Securities and Exchange Commission;
- Give long term investors new tools to hold corporate boards and senior management accountable; and
- Help prevent future bank bailouts by creating a council of regulators to oversee systemic risk, giving regulators authority to dissolve failing financial institutions while prohibiting bailouts for bank shareholders and executives
- Move toward restoring of Glass Steagall by limiting banks ability to make risky bets backed by taxpayer funds.
As we look ahead to November, when voters will once again have the ability to stay on the path to change or look back to the failed policies of the past, this vote is a defining line in the sand. Working families will be dedicated to supporting leaders who vote to create jobs and hold Wall Street and big business accountable.
Voters now have a clear picture of those who stand on the side of Main Street and those who choose instead to stand on the side of Wall Street.
We will not forget.
Source: Wisconsin State AFL-CIO Blog